By now you realize that every time I make something, if it's a success, I like to share it with you!! Today's success was a Southern Gal's take on a traditional breakfast of pancakes and eggs.
My roommates went to the Asian Ward today after we got home from our regular ward, leaving me to make dinner for everyone. I've been in an experimental mood lately with my cooking and baking, but today I kind of stayed close to what I know. My first thought was "breakfast for dinner;" it's something my mom does all the time on Sundays and it's usually a big hit, no matter who makes it or who eats it. My second thought was pancakes. I immediately called my Mom and got her recipe for my favorite pancakes, then I stopped for a second and the southern girl in me said, "Hey! How about fry bread?!" And the rest of me liked what that southern part of me said. So, I made cinnamon fry bread with sweet scrambled eggs and a cinnamon vanilla glaze. (By the time I remembered to take a picture, the eggs were all gone, which just shows you how good they were!)
Fry Bread:
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3 level tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup buttermilk (or you can use regular milk and leave out the baking soda)
Mix all the dry ingredients together and then cut in the shortening. Add the milk and mix it up. Make soft dough and knead lightly. (If you want cinnamon fry bread like I made, then add a dash of cinnamon with the milk.) Now, this is actually a biscuit recipe, so from here you can make biscuits in the oven. I think it makes an excellent fry bread, so that's what I use it for. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut circular pieces about 2-3 inches wide until all the dough has been used. Stretch out each circle until it's about 1/8 inch flat. Drop in a frying pan with hot oil and watch closely. When the edges are brown, flip to the other side for about 45 seconds. Remove from frying pan and place on a hot plate to keep warm or serve immediately. Makes about a dozen.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.