Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Post of Father's Days Passed

Once upon a time, in honor of Father's Day, my siblings and I did the 
same thing as the year before.  The end.  

Every year for Father's Day for as long as I can remember, we would always do the same thing for my Dad for Father's Day.  It was always a scavenger hunt.  We would first decorate the house and put up cards that said things like 'We love you!' and 'Happy Father's Day!' and 'Best Dad Ever!'

One year, instead of 'Father' we accidentally wrote 'Fatter' on the card ... 

Then we would devise clues to a scavenger hunt that would lead Dad all over the house in search of his presents.  At each location, there would be a piece of a royal wardrobe ensemble for him to put on.  First was the royal scepter (aka pink duster), then the silken cape (aka red shag blanket), and finally the regal crown with family jewels (aka an inflatable crown that said 'Happy Birthday').  

After the crown got a hole in it, we started using Dad's baseball cap instead.

After reaching the final destination of the scavenger hunt, Dad would finally have his well-earned gifts.  Usually hand-made paper ties, school produced poems, and TV series on DVD.

One of the more memorable Father's Day gifts was a trombone.  My father played in high school, but hadn't since then.  It was quite the feat to acquire one and hide it and quite the surprise when he opened it.

Then we would all share in the cake/brownies/rice crispies/other dessert while we watched either Ben Hur or The Ten Commandments- two of my Father's favorite movies- depending on which one my Dad wanted to watch.  

Song of choice for the day was always "I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home."

Christmas Shots from Dad!

My father, the amazing transformer!  Most of my life, I remember my Dad being around 400 pounds,
but he lost a LOT of weight and looks more like the guy in the picture above this one.

Daddy's girl
My Father taught me the difference between a man and a boy.  He taught me that I should always do what I love and love what I do.  He taught me the power, joy, and emotion that comes from sharing my talents with others.  He taught me to always respect people, even if you don't agree with them.  He taught me that family is the most important thing I'll ever be involved in and it should always come first.  He taught me that no matter what the situation is, you can always find something good about it and it's not the end of eternity- life will go on.  He taught me that Mom is always number one and should be treated likewise.  He taught me love.  

Thanks for all you've ever done for me, Dad.  

And thanks for all the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.