Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A White Chick from Next to the Boondocks

(This post is an assignment for my Foundations of Multicultural Education class.)

Jerald and Loraine Anderson
I chose this picture to represent my grandmother and her influence on me.  My grandmother passed away in the early 80s from cancer, so obviously I have never walked with her on this Earth in a physical body.  However, I have felt her influence in my life many times and I can pinpoint specific moments when I know that my grandmother is with me.  My mother always used to talk about my grandmother's love of learning and how smart she was.  I wanted to be smart just like my grandmother in heaven.  I know that she and I had a relationship in heaven because I can feel it whenever I think about her.  I admire her love of learning and as such strive to take advantage of all the learning experiences which I have the opportunity to enjoy.  Also represented in this picture is my love of family and belief that we can one day be reunited with our loved ones in the spirit world.  My grandfather passed away just over five years ago and I know he and my grandmother are happy and reunited now just as they were in this picture on their wedding day.

Cougareat Food Court Logo
I chose to include where I work as part of my cultural diorama because of all I have learned while working there that has helped to shape my character.  I have been a part of the management for about three years and in that amount of time I have learned a lot about respect, communication, sacred resources, stewardship, and responsibility (just to name a few).  Because of the experiences which I have had there as a member of the management team, I have been able to pinpoint what kind of impact I want to have on those whom I come in contact with and how I want to be viewed by others.  Certain other members of the management team have been examples which I have looked up to because of the influence which they have on others and the respect which they have for others and their values.

Marching Band Competition- Megs and Me
In high school, I was a part of the marching band and learned A LOT.  I joined my freshman year and remember how much I hated band camp- it was SO hard and I felt like I wasn't getting it and I was doing everything wrong.  Junior year, I quit.  After quitting, I realized how much I missed the music and how much the joy really was worth all of the hard work that went into each show, each performance, each set.  I learned to value hard work and endurance for the reward that comes after.  Our directors had a vision for our band to become one of the greatest in the state.  We attended intense competitions that pushed our small band to its limits.  Our band program was not made up of a lot of people.  Our principal put so much more emphasis on the sports than any of the arts programs and they all suffered from it.  Despite this challenge from forces beyond their control, our directors had instilled in us that we could still be the best band in the state.  No matter what others say or think about you, the most important thing is that you be your best self.  We learned that you can set your goals however high you want as long as you are willing to work hard enough to reach them.   (After marching season of junior year concluded, I rejoined for my senior year.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.