Tuesday, December 3, 2013

On the First Day of Christmas

I think this song is funny, but emphasizes two main points.  One- Christmas has really become more about the money to be made and commercialism.  Two- It's starting sooner every year. (But mostly it's just funny)



I'm one of those people who hates when I see Christmas paraphernalia out before Thanksgiving.  Not because I'm a Scrooge, but because it's never the right Christmas stuff.  I would love it if nativity scenes were sold all year-round at major retailers.  As a collector of nativities, trust me- they are not easily found in shopping centers year-round.  I feel like I always see stockings and Santa and garlands and Christmas trees out long before any nativities.  I know lots of people have said it, but I'll say it again because Christmas has become so commercialized.  We need to remember the CHRIST in CHRISTmas.

If it weren't for Christ, our lives would be entirely different.  He created this Earth, the beautiful landscapes and animals which we pay money to see (Been to the zoo lately?  Or a national park?).  He presented the plan of happiness which allows us to potentially return to live with Him someday, and He is also the main part of that plan- He died to satisfy justice and allow God to exercise mercy.  How can we only remember Him once a year??

Growing up, I remember my sweet mother leaving the Holy Family part of her ceramic nativity on the mantel all year.  It never came down.  Baby Jesus, the Virgin Mary, and Joseph were always there right next to the clocks and pictures.  One year, I asked her why.  No one else had their nativities up and they were a Christmas thing, weren't they?  She taught me that it's because we remember the Savior all year.  He is not just the reason for the season- He's the reason for everything.  Why can't we remember to honor Him more than just one month out of the year?

I have a wooden decorative piece that I put up just recently and it says "The magic of Christmas is not in the presents but in His presence."  His presence can be with us all year round.  He doesn't leave us on our own for eleven months out of the year and come around for December to celebrate.  He does not leave us comfortless.  He is with us always.  He loves us and remembers us all year round.  We should do the same for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.