In Response to the Pants Movement
Here's the original: click here
And here's where this response is linked to: click here
(Taken from Aimee Whitney, a good friend, on facebook.) I most emphatically agree with this statement.
I think this link is a well thought out response to the "wear pants this Sunday" agenda. I really appreciated these words. I've been sorry to read over the last week or so that so many women feel such group frustration and resentment toward the church. And sorry that it is manifesting in what I see as a form of "open rebellion". I say that because that seems to be the intent.
Please consider LDS ladies that it is a social norm that you wear dresses to church and not a commandment. We are asked to show respect to the Lord and to the Sacrament by "wearing our Sunday best". If you cannot afford new or nice clothes that is one thing. Come as you are - and we as Christians should openly accept anyone who wants to come and worship. As was the example given by Christ.
If you have "Sunday best" slacks and you feel more "at your best" in these than in a skirt, by all means wear them to church with pure intent and feel good about it - on ANY Sunday. I take issue, like Adrienne, with the venue and intent to make a large and loud group statement this coming Sunday. Wear pants any Sunday you feel good about wearing them. There is no rule or law that says you can't. Go to the temple in your nice slacks. It may fluster a few old folks, but ultimately if you are a loving, pleasant, and worthy person who happens to be a female wearing slacks - they won't care.
But it is the mentality of rebellion and making a group statement that is wrong in this scenario. I absolutely believe that there are inequalities of the treatment of the sexes in the practice of our religion. But I KNOW it is not inequalities that God condones. Remember that it is imperfect men who run the church on this earth. I've been thinking how frustrating it must be for God to have to rely on us - often selfish, prideful, greedy, sinful, grumpy creatures to move His great work forward. I can just picture Him often shaking His head in disbelief and sighing in disappointment at our behaviors while representing "in His name".
Of the men leading the church today - many or most do their best, some or few create problems for women with their open practice of chauvinism. I have personal experience with encounters with men who clearly view women as "beneath" them and that they need not consider what women think or feel because they have "authority" over them. Generally speaking this kind of behavior tends to come from an older generation, the younger men coming up in the church are more aware of the social acceptance of equality of the sexes - and will heed a woman's opinion more readily.
So again, I empathize with the hurt and frustration. BUT group anger or an attitude of "take that" or "so there" will not help. Trust me, I know. Just learn to be comfortable with what your needs are and take care of you - AKA if you want to wear pants because you feel better in pants, then by all means wear them anytime without having an agenda or something to prove.
In this scenario, I think quiet, humble, truth shown over time by individuals will be more powerful and effective for making change than a loud display of anger or a show of pride on one day by a large group."
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.